Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Oh Thank The Good Lord For Fantasy Football

By Adam Weber, Grilling With The Weber

I woke up in the middle of the night from a nightmare. I had accidentally dropped Adrian Peterson from my fantasy team. The horror was so graphic I will spare you the details of my trauma. But know this: as I lay there in a pool of heavy sweat, I couldn’t help but ask myself a simple but frightening question:

Do I love my fantasy team more than my real team?

The answer: of course not. Don’t be stupid, errr, at least I don’t think I do. Well maybe this year, but it’s an unfair question right now.

See, my favorite team is the Seattle Seahawks, and I am a bona-fide super fan. I follow the Seahawks like a 13-year-old follows the Jonas Brothers, whoever they are. So what if I know Matt Hasselbeck’s favorite color? You got a problem with that? We are twitter buddies, leave me alone, you don’t know me.

My point is, I’m a freakin' fan! Yes Seattle still has a pro NFL team, and no Seattle is not in Alaska, but the 'Hawks season is dive-bombing faster than Sarah Palin’s political career.

This leads me to my main point: a few Sunday's ago I was watching the Dallas Cowboys virtually end the Seahawks season for the second year in a row, but this time I wasn’t throwing anything. I barely let out a single four-letter word. My attention had turned, and turned quickly to Peterson and the rest of my little pretend team.

"For my fantasy team has cured me. The pain of losing once again has been alleviated. I’m a new man. For the rest of 2009, I’m focused on bringing honor to my family, so my wife can finally tell all her friends she’s sleeping with a champion."

Without missing a beat, there I was screaming at that bearded idiot head coach in Minnesota for not putting AP in the game when they were on the FRGGIN' 1-YARD LINE! What is wrong with you man? I’m playing fantasy football here! Peterson is the best RB in the game right now. I’m at a sensitive period in my life and I need every touchdown I can get. Don't mess with me!

So there I was, literally on my knees in the living room begging, and while he did not get that particular TD on that particular drive, this story has a happy ending.

My fantasy team won that week. My fantasy team is freakin' good, and God I love it.

I slept like a baby that night. Seriously, you have no idea. A dump truck could have crashed into my house and I wouldn’t have budged. Not only was I over the fact that my Seahawks are doomed for another miserable failure of a season, but I was whistling my way to work that Monday.

For my fantasy team has cured me. The pain of losing once again has been alleviated. I’m a new man.

For the rest of 2009, I’m focused on bringing honor to my family, so my wife can finally tell all her friends she’s sleeping with a champion.

In case you haven't noticed, Adam Weber is a huge Seahawks and fantasy football fan. Please check out his blog at http://grilling-with-theweber.blogspot.com/.

1 comment:

  1. Adam,

    Allow me to be the first to say, bro, you summed it up perfectly! I have been through the scenario you described about 7 zillion times in the last 13 years! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete

Just keep it clean. You never know when Lantern Jr. will surf this site.