Thursday, December 10, 2009

#$%&! The Yankees And Their Fans' Sense Of Entitlement

By Trevor Gill

Congratulations to the 2009 New York Yankees for outspending the next closest team in Major League Baseball by more than $65 million. Oh yeah, and kudos to you for winning yet another World Series title.

You see where this column is going?

As a Mets fan, I hate many things about the Yankees. I hate their astronomical payroll and overall philosophy, of “buying” championships, especially during a recession. I hate Alex Rodriguez, who is a good-for-nothing-attention-loving-steroid-using baby. I hate their new stadium, full of overpriced corporate restaurants.

But most of all I hate their fans, who somehow feel they are entitled to all this good fortune.

As I was saying, I'm a "Mess" fan, but I truly cannot deny that I am jealous of the Yankees' winning ways. But I hate this notion that Yankees fans feel that their team is “destined” to win every year. You have a better shot than anyone else because you grossly overspend for everyone. I'm just waiting to turn on the computer and see that they have John Lackey signed for $80 million over four years. I mean, why not have a rotation that costs more than Obamacare? Why not trade for Albert Pujols and give him a 15-year, $450 million extension while you're at it? You can move $180 million Mark Teixeira to designated hitter.

A Yankees fan described to me recently why he and many like him deserved to win it all this year after nine years of “suffering.” Are you kidding me? Suffering? Suffering is being a Mets fan. Suffering is giving up a home run to Yadier Molina at home to lose the pennant. Suffering is making the playoffs three times in the last 20 years. Suffering is finishing this year 23 games out of first place.

So, Yankees fans, please don’t tell me about suffering. Suffering. HA!

As a Mets fan I may not get to experience the thrill of winning a championship for a while. And I certainly know that the Amazins will not come remotely close to winning 27 of them, a feat that even I must admit is incredible. However, what I do know is when (or if) the Mets ever win a championship, it will be so much sweeter for our fans than for Yankees fans this year.

What really kills me is Yankees fans fight so hard to prove that they are the best, it seems like it takes away from their enjoyment of a World Series title. They are already worrying about No. 28. Once the Mets win one, I’ll be good for a while, not just a few weeks.

Yankees fans, I have an idea for you. Just be happy and live in the moment. Don’t worry about comparing this team to the franchise's other 26 championship teams. Don’t worry about rubbing it in Mets fans’ faces. Just simply enjoy it. Stop with this entitlement nonsense and shut your mouths.

A friend of mine, Fraser Williams, summed up Yankees fans pretty well:

“The only thing larger than the Yankees fans’ mouths and unwarranted sense of entitlement is their team’s payroll."

Amen.

Trevor Gill, obviously, hates the Yankees, but don't hold that against him. In fact, please check out his blog -- Chatterblogradio -- and follow him on Twitter @chatterblog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just keep it clean. You never know when Lantern Jr. will surf this site.