Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Jeter Is The Man, But Not The Sports-Man

By Jeremy Fuchs

Derek Jeter has been named SI's Sportsman of the Year. As a die hard Yankee fan, I couldn't be happier for Jeter. He's a class act. He's also dating Minka Kelly, so this just adds to my jealousy. But, for some reason, I don't consider Jeter Sportsman of the Year.

Sure, he had a great year, and yeah, he led his team to a World Series win (although I'd argue that win was on the shoulders of Alex Rodriguez). He's the face of the Yankees. But, what else has he done?

When Michael Phelps was named Sportsman of the Year in 2008, it made sense. He dominated the Olympics, becoming the greatest Olympian of all time. That deserves Sportsman of the Year. Jeter, for all his greatness, helped his team win a World Series. He wasn't the star player in the playoffs. He was good. And he won a championship.

But, Sportsman?

Sure, Jeter broke Lou Gehrig's all-time Yankee hit record. An amazing accomplishment (and one that I still think is on my DVR). But how does that make him a Sportsman?

In my view, a Sportsman should be the best in his or her given sport, while also making a tremendous contribution to the community. Jeter is not the best in his sport. Jeter didn't dominate his sport. While Jeter had a great year and his Turn 2 Foundation is among the best charity organizations of its kind anywhere, he was outshined, for the most part, by A-Rod and Mark Teixeira on the field.

I'm not writing this because I'm upset Jeter won. I'm happy. I'm writing this because I feel he doesn't desereve it.

Someone like Usain Bolt would've been a better choice. How about Rachel Alexander, the fantastic filly? There are many more deserving choices.

I guess it could be worse, though. SI could've picked Tiger Woods.

Jeremy Fuchs is a talented young guy who puts an awful lot of thought and consideration into everything he writes. Please follow him on Twitter @jaf78

2 comments:

  1. There is absolutely no way A-Rod was winning this award because of his prior steroid use. Teixeira had a great regular season, but didn't bat well in the postseason. Bolt didn't run enough races to get the nod, although he was outstanding in the ones he was in. Rachel Alexander didn't run in the Kentucky Derby or Belmont Stakes so that ends her bid.

    Jeter resembles what is right in sports and the correct way of doing things. A sportsman doesn't have to be the best athlete in a particular sport. Jeter was the captain of the 2009 World Champion New York Yankees, he's a role model off the field and charity work is exceptional. He also was number 3 in the AL MVP vote... pretty good if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Rich, though I would have totally understood if Bolt got the nod.

    Jeter, in my opinion, is the most underrated baseball player in modern baseball history -- to everyone OUTSIDE New York.

    And Jeter the man should take a backseat to no one.

    ReplyDelete

Just keep it clean. You never know when Lantern Jr. will surf this site.